- Be as organized as possible so that you are buying the attorney’s services/time as efficiently as possible.
- Before phoning or emailing the attorney, plan what topics or questions you need answered and restrict your conversation or email to brief and specific topics related only to your legal issue.
- Request a Written Fee Agreement in advance from the attorney to prepare yourself about what to expect and how to handle issues related to fees.
- Ask the attorney whether mediation, arbitration, or some other legal or non-legal solution might be a lower-cost way to handle your issue. Seek out local community mediation services or legal aid information.
- If you have a fixed amount of funds available, determine a legal budget and contact attorneys in your practice area until you can make a positive connection with an attorney who will fit your budget or who will be willing to take payments.