When calling an attorney for the first time, introduce yourself, briefly explain the nature of your legal concern, and ask whether the attorney will provide a free consultation (generally 15-30 minutes).
When you meet with the attorney, conduct yourself in a businesslike, courteous manner and bring:
- A written summary of your legal issue or case.
- A written list of questions.
- All documents pertaining to your case.
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of everyone connected to your case.
- A notepad and pen to take notes.
Be prepared to discuss your goals or expected resolution. Ask the attorney for his or her professional opinion about your chances of achieving the desired outcome and what challenges you may face.
Ask whether the attorney encourages mediation or arbitration when it is appropriate.